Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Community

         A few summers ago, I had to privilege to go on a domestic mission's trip to Bluefield, West Virginia. It really opened my eyes to how much need we have within the United States. The children we worked with were in horrible home situations and lived well below the poverty line. It made me realize how fortunate I am to be where I am and to come home to a safe and loving environment. I'm to the point now with high school that I am so ready to be done; so ready to move on and see new things. Start my own life. Sometimes I feel as if God is telling me to just stop and realize what I have. Be thankful for family, friends, and the memories I have made with them. When I graduate and leave this town, things will not ever be the same.

    
      I think I get so completely caught up in the moment that I forget how badly my community needs me too. There are plenty of people within my own city who desperately need help, whether it be food and shelter or love and support. I'm currently trying to plan an outreach event for my school's Beta Club, and I'm excited to see how God is going to move within my city. As badly as I long to be back in Guyana, there is no need to waste precious time. I need to get to serving my own town!!

No comments: