Monday, January 17, 2011

A Letter to My Sister

UPDATE:
So what did Leah think? 
Leah's Reply

Leah (E, Lele, Lee),
This is a much overdue letter.
I'm pretty sure I promised you one before you started high school, and I never actually did it. But here you are, my dear.

As I was walking around the college I will call my home next year with you close behind,  I couldn't help but think of the changes you will face next school year. I want you to have a letter from me telling you how I feel, what you will likely face, and of course, how much I love you.

I'm sure that by now you know how awful high school can be sometimes. Keep your head up, girl. There are people at our school who would kill to see you fall and self-destruct. But you won't do that. Your intelligence and beauty will get you so far in life. Friend-wise, I encourage you to find a few very very close friends who you can call whenever you need to. These people will love you for who you are; they will laugh with you and cry with you and they will walk with you through some of the hardest times of your life (and the good ones of course). They will see through your imperfections. You will make some of the funniest and craziest memories with them. Look at Casey and Melissa if you want to know what those type of friends look like.

Learn to tell people "no". That will make high school a whole lot easier for you than it was for me. Don't push yourself too far. You want time to spend with God, your family, and your friends because high school flies by. Trust me on that one. You're so incredible at baking. Keep it up!! I'll keep my job as taste tester for as long as you need me to be.

You will discover, especially senior year that Grammy and Papa's house will become your safe haven. There is a special feeling there. It's quiet and serene. Grammy will love to hear every detail of your day and what you want to do in the future (no matter how many times that changes). Papa will always be so excited to know you are hanging out with Grammy. When he comes home from work, you will always get the biggest hug and bring a smile to his face. That to me can fix any really crappy day.

Mom and Dad will drive you absolutely crazy sometimes. No worries, just call me, and I'll make the journey home and rescue you for the weekend. Just remember, Mom actually is a lot smarter than I have ever given her credit for. Her advice is miraculously always right, although I'll never ever admit that : ) One major thing to remember: KEEP YOUR ROOM SPOTLESS. She will call you wherever you are and remind you that she is taking money from your banking account for her "maid fee". Another thing, Dad is extremely good at convincing Mom. If you want to do something that she would normally say no to, call him first : ) He's pretty awesome, but you're a true daddy's girl so you know that already.

As far as love, don't look for it. Most of the guys at school are not worth your time and to get through me, you are going to need a pretty good one (especially when I call him). Remember, he's going to need my permission, too : ) Let someone completely incredible find you. Wait until you are much older. Miles is a really good example concerning what you should be looking for! He better always open doors for you and tell you how much he loves you. Let's wait a REALLY long time for you to have a boyfriend, okay?

Make the most of your high school experience. Run to God first and foremost. Learn to give everything to Him in complete surrender. When you're scared of something, do it anyway. Conquer all your fears because it's so much fun. We have many more days left while I'm still in town to hang out, but after that, I'm always a phone call a way or a two-hour car ride. I love you so much, and can't wait to see who you become.

                                                                                                                    Love Always,
                                                                                                                                    Laur

P.S. Play volleyball next year. You made huge improvements this season! You're more than good enough, and that team is going to need you!



5 comments:

Melissa the Dilettante said...

*tearing up* I wish I had a sister.... :(

Leah said...

Thank you so much, Lauren! I wrote a much longer reply on my blog www.doubletakecupcakes.blogspot.com for you :)

Admin said...

Ah so sweet, Lauren! So glad you are back to blogging! I want to be an international missionary too!

Michelle said...

I really didn't need to read this at work (bring on the tissues). I am so proud of you Lauren, and love watching the relationship between you and Leah grow stronger everyday. You are both amazing young women with hearts that are on fire for the Lord!!!!
I Love YOU!

Zeke said...

Awesome girl!!! :) Really sweet