Saturday, January 29, 2011

Amer-indian People

     While we were in Guyana, we took a boat ride (well, a few boat rides) to this beautiful little Amerindian village in the Amazon interior. After a terrifying run-in with the military, we were left there to explore and get to know the people.

There were no roads.
There were no cars.
There was very little technology.
No air conditioning.
Only thatched roofs.
Poisonous snakes that bit a little boy while we were there.
Military miraculously in the area to help him.
There were monkeys as pets.
The wives were usually left alone because their husbands had to seek work off the island and could only return on the weekends.
Alcoholism among the men ran rampant.

The thing about this village is all they had was each other. They simply knew how to love authentically and just be there. It was so encouraging to me to see how they had next to nothing but lived like they had  everything in the world. I need to learn how to live like that here...

I wasn't working on the particular medical project that day so I got the opportunity to just explore and love on the people there. We walked all over that island. We saw all of the huts; the places where the children play and too many little neon blue lizards : )

I met a girl there who was about 15 or 16 whose dream goal was to get to the United States and become a doctor. She was absolutely brilliant; she blew me away with everything that she knew. Had we had more than a few hours there, I would of really wanted to know how in the world she learned all of it. I really hope that somehow someway she gets here and fulfills that goal. Unfortunately, we won't be going back to that village this April, but I pray that God leads people to her that have the ability to help her fulfill this dream. I hope that somewhere down the road I see that little girl, grown-up and a doctor, back in her village helping her people. I believe she can do it.

One of the nicer houses in the village, and one of the cutest kids : )

Typical housing...

No comments: