Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Guyana Story

The cruelties of hunger...

Obviously, Guyana is on my mind ALOT. I miss that place, and I think about it all the time. I want my stories to be somewhere so if, God-forbid, I ever forget I can remind myself of what I saw there.

One story that stands out in my mind is about a boy named David*. He lived at the second orphanage we worked at, and the one that truly captured my heart. The entire time we were there he was your typical "cool kid". He was one of the oldest, and he wanted us all to know that he was "in charge". He commanded respect from all of his peers.  All of the other children really looked up to him.

Oh, what I'd give to bring them all back with me
On a previous trip there, leaders had promised the kids that the next time they came back, they would bring them fried chicken. This trip we fulfilled that promise. The group leader drove into the city, purchased the chicken, and brought it back to the children. They were ecstatic! The food was passed out, and they were all enjoying their meal. All of a sudden the kids started laughing at David, and no one knew why. Come to find out he had eaten the chicken and all of the bones. To me, this was incredibly sad, and it really shows how cruel hunger can be. He was clearly starving and wanted to make the most of the food that he had been given. Who knows when his next real meal would be. If I had nothing else in Guyana to go back for, I would go back for him. I would go back just to bring him food and to give him a hug and promise him that God had a plan for his life. To think that he is just one hungry kid in one third-world country and that there
are so many other "Davids" out there breaks my heart. Hunger is a cruel, cruel thing.

*Named changed for protection


Desperately looking for food...

2 comments:

Melissa the Dilettante said...

haha this has nothing to do with this post so delete it if you want after you visit this link:

http://www.beautyjunkielondon.com/2011/01/illamasqua-throb.html

Love said...

hi lauren! so nice to meet you.

yes, it is a cruel thing and such a shame that we sit in abundance while our brothers and sisters live like this. =( God has them each in the palm of His hand and is using you to speak up for them. off to say a prayer for you right now. that you are filled with peace, courage & joy. that you do not become hardened, but continue to be open to His will for you. that you press on and give a voice to the least of these!