Monday, March 10, 2014

Day 2- Hope Home!

Hey everyone!

        Today has been so much fun... a very, long hot day but filled with adventure and excitement! We began bright and early with a devotion from Tony and a wonderful breakfast prepared by the staff of the hotel. We then headed to Hope Children's Home to begin the exciting task of buiding a new playground for all of the kids there! We got right to work and have been able to get much done today. Everyone was able to participate, and we all got a huge kick watching Pastor Tim learn how to saw boards for the different platforms. Caitlin and Katy worked on a mural all day, and it is looking amazing! They have already gotten many compliments, and it is not even finished yet. I will post pictures below. I was able to teach a class to the teachers and caregivers about how to handle behavioral issues with orphans and ways to praise positive behavior instead of focusing on negative behavior. I was extremely excited with how receptive the staff was and will be going back to teach more tomorrow and a self esteem building class for the older girls.
        Elizabeth, Pat, and I also got the opportunity to watch the children so that the staff could have a meeting. It was quite the challenge, but I would say it was a job well done! It was very heartbreaking to look around the room and see just how much attention the children truly wanted. They would go so  far as to physically hurt each other just to get one of us to look at each other. God has such a sense of humor because I was truly put to the test-- could I actually implement the techniques that I had just taught the caregivers to deal with the behavior? It was a challenge but overall, it went well!! Another moment today that broke my heart was watching a crippled little boy fall asleep on the floor because he was so tired from moving himself around. Looking at his shoes, the soles were shredded, and my heart felt about the same way. I was reminded just how blessed I am today.
      We left Hope around 3:30, completely exhausted but blessed from an awesome day. We were able to take quick naps and then head to Maurice and B's house for a welcoming party for their new beautiful home. Pastor Tim was able to bless the home, and we were served an awesome Guyanese meal of curry beef, chow mein, rice, and roti. We also got banana ice cream!
      We had such a great day and are ready for another adventure at Hope Home tomorrow! Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers. They are much appreciated! 

Lauren  

P.S. The pictures are a bit out of order but the only way they would all post! Enjoy!! 
 

Elizabeth spending time with some kids!

Miles working hard!

Melissa and Tim attempting to catch a cow!

Tim was determined...

Meet Reshma. I have known this girl for over 5 years, and she is such a blessing to me. 

Tony, Elizabeth, me, and Pastor Tim at the house warming party!

Proof that Pastor Tim indeed used a saw today...

Working on the playground!

Caitlin painting the mural!

Angel, Isaiah, and I!

Clement, Tony, and I having a little fun!

Group picture with B and Maurice at their house warming!

More playground pictures!

Jeff lost a sole today...

Elizabeth working hard!

Me teaching the class today!

Ariel shot of the beginning of the playground process! 

All of the children love Auntie Pat!

More playground...

Tony hard at work!

Miles and I!

No comments: