Saturday, June 29, 2013

Guyana Day 4!

Greetings from Guyana!

Tonight's blog is being written by Leah, Lauren's little sister. Before I start talking about our adventures today, I would like to briefly talk about what I have learned so far on this trip. It is amazing how easily we can take things for granted like family, a home, or even an air conditioned building. The first question I asked as soon as I stepped foot in Guyana was "Is there wifi here?" Boy, was I in for a life-changing trip. After one morning of being here, I began to slowly learn that there is much more to see than the nice cell phone screen, and I am learning to not solely rely on it all the time. I realized the fact that I had been living a fantastic life compared to the many here who are on the streets and in orphanages yet I was never thankful for it. I have been blessed with something as simple as air or food, but we never seem to truly respect these essential items that so many do not have. One of the most impacting moments was when we fed the homeless right outside a housing for prostitution. Instantly I thought of the fact that Jesus was always with the prostitutes and sinners reaching out to them because He knew their life was full of purpose. Instead of judging people, I have definitely learned to accept people and be a light for them. In closing, I just want to say that I have been so humbled by this trip and all the opportunities I have been given to finally pour love into the lives of the people of Guyana. Without further ado, below is the update of today's events.

Today was another great day here!  After our morning devotions and breakfast, we headed out for our first stop of the day, Joshua House. The visit here was productive and touching at the same time. As we pulled up, the children happily ran towards the gate and greeted us with many hugs. This instantly reminded me of the Bible verse Matthew 11:28 which says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." The team then split up and the children blew bubbles, colored pictures, or played fun games with Miles and Michael. A few team members helped install a swing that the children loved, and they each waited their turn as patiently as children can to try it out.  Each child, without even knowing our names or stories just wanted to be able to feel love from someone. It was such a blessing to have the opportunity to be the love the children longed for.

In the afternoon we traveled back to Ruimveldt to install twelve door knobs. While many of us learned a new skill, they were very grateful for the newly installed door knobs. Each child was given either a bracelet or necklace as a reminder that Jesus truly loved them, and we said our goodbyes and departed. When leaving, we could clearly see that these kids formed a family and truly looked out for each other in all situations.

For dinner, we had the opportunity to try some authentic Guayanese food and celebrate Joshua's birthday. We are now back in our rooms preparing for another wonderful day tomorrow.

Much love from Guyana,
Leah :)

Preparing to chase after the bubbles :)
 

Kids enjoying the coloring books brought by Holly!

Michael and Miles leading games for the children!


Here's a picture of the new necklaces each child received!

Andy and Mr. Butler constructing the new swing.

Playing with Derick!

They loved playing tug-of-war with Michael!

Getting love from some sweet girls!

Holly with some of her new friends!

Holly had the chance to have a close bond with this girl and even gave away her name badge to her, which is a BIG deal for these kids.

Moments like this make being here beyond worth it!



No comments: