Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Home

It is amazing how being away from Guyana for only a few short months has my mind wandering there again. My college dorm room is surrounded by pieces of Guyana; there are pictures all over the walls and surrounding my desk, a Guyana flag proudly hangs on my wall. I think about Guyana each and every day and long for the day when I will be allowed to return.

This year, my sister will be joining the team, and it is the biggest honor ever to be able and introduce her to a country that basically feels like home for me. I am so ready to show her absolutely everything, not hiding anything, the good and bad and the ugly. She has no idea what she is getting herself into, but I do, and I am so excited for her.

Just a few weekends ago, it was "Orphan Sunday", a day specifically set aside to remember those who many forget about. To me, they are unforgettable. Everyone of them has a unique, and usually extremely painful story to share to anyone who will just take a few short minutes to listen to them. Sometimes this means not getting the job done, or not finishing a project on time, but the longer I have been to Guyana the more I begin to realize that listening is really the most important thing that I can do. Without pausing from painting or building or whatever else we are doing there, I would have missed so many important details of those children's lives. I would have never known that Reshma and Rolisha are in love with ballet, and I would have never known that Naresh has dreams of coming to the United States. I would have never heard the stories of the orphanage workers or of anyone at all.

I am realizing more and more that this season of my life is simply about listening, to those around me and even to those who I have never spoken to before. It is important, and you really begin to understand people for who they are.

I absolutely cannot wait to return to Guyana this summer!





1 comment:

Michelle said...

Your love and passion for those left behind truly inspires me everyday!! It is such an honor to simply sit back and watch you follow the path that God has set before you. I love you!!